Top Social

How to get your kid to eat more fruits

Sunday 27 August 2017
Hey guys,
As parents, we all struggle with different things when it comes to our kids. Some don't sleep at night, some are shy, others wont stop whining! I feel most parents struggle with their kids eating their fruits and vegetables. Fruit became an issue once kayden turned one. He discovered there's other and better food out there and would just spit it out if his mouth. I didn't want kayden to be missing out on nutrition, so i knew i needed to start getting creative.
1. Baked goods

I love baking. I recently got more into baking breakfast foods (muffins, cakes etc). Curtis isn't big on breakfast (i don't know why), unless its full out (bacon, eggs, waffles, the whole 9 yards). I did notice if i made muffins, banana bread or coffee cake, he would definitely eat it. And to my surprise, so did kayden. Kayden was obsessed with baked goods, he thought it was a special treat and couldn't get enough of it. The best part? He didn't even notice the fruit. Now he is obsessed with anything that has blueberry, strawberry or raspberry in it. I know you must be thinking, but what about the sugar? There are so many great ways to cut down on sugar and butter when baking. I make mini muffins and one satisfies him. Nothing ever lasts more then 3 days, and it guarantees everyone starts off their day will a full belly.

2. Apple sauce
Kayden never liked the taste of plain apple sauce, and has never gotten use to the taste of apples. For some reason, i decided to get strawberry flavored apple sauce one day. I am so glad i listened to my gut feeling, because Kayden loved it, it instantly became one of his go to snacks. I got some in a few flavors, ( peach, mixed berry, and even some with vegetables) and he loved them. The best part is you can get some with vegetables, fibre and no sugar added, whatever you feel your child is lacking, they have it covered. I like to get the ones in travel pouches from Motts, because they are perfect for on the go. I can throw it in my bag, and when kayden eats it, he doesn't make a mess. I always buy the ones with 'no sugar added'. He gets all the sweetness he loves and craves, without the sugar high.

3. Smoothies
Kayden doesn't like smoothies, which breaks my heart, since curtis and i cant get enough of them. You can pack so many fruits, and other ingredients they may not like. We buy frozen fruit, since our fresh fruit spoils quicky and attracts fruit flies. We always have fruit in the freezer and there are so many combinations you can create. We add yogurt and milk, and enjoy. This is a great way to sneak some vegetables in as well.


4. Frozen fruit pops
Get some fruit and puree them, as if you are making baby food. You can buy popsicle molds from any store (i got mine from the dollar store), and pour the puree into the mold. Stick a popsicle stick in it, and freeze. Your child will think they are having a treat, but its all fruit, which means they wont get that sugar high that we all dread. Kayden went through a phase this summer where all he wanted was feeezes. I didn't mind because we had a hot summer, and it was a perfect way to cool down. But after awhile i was getting concerned with the amount if sugar he was having. This was a great alternative, and gave him the same satisfaction.



As parents we want our children to have a healthy balance of enjoying a treat, while staying healthy. As Kayden has gotten older he has become more away that a cookie tastes a lot better then a piece of fruit. I hate to say that i have 'tricked' him, but i have. He has gone through phases of eating fruit (bananas, cherries and grapes) but it never stuck. I hope these ideas help you through your rut. 
Post Comment
Post a Comment