Top Social

Entertaining Tips

Wednesday 1 March 2017
Hey Guys,

Regardless of how many kids you have, having people over can be overwhelming. My boyfriend and I have people over all the time, and Ill admit it, as stressed out as I get, i love it! After I had Kayden, i realized it is not as easy as it use to be. Here are some tips to help you make it a little easier. I start planning 2-4 weeks before the event

Make a list
I know this sounds so obvious, but it is constantly overlooked. I make a list for everything, food, plates, decor etc. I like buying items slowly so i love going down my list and crossing items off if i see them on sale or if i have a quiet weekend. A list will remind you What you need to do. i am constantly adding things to it, and if i didnt write it down i would never remember. My boyfriend got me into making lists on my phone, which is so handy! It is always on me and i know i won't loose it.

Have something for everyone
Sonetimes when you have people coming over there are some dietary restraints, so try to have a few dishes that you know everyone will enjoy. For instance if we have a vegetarian over, i make sure there are plenty of neutral snacks and appetizers that everyone can enjoy e.g. cheese platter, chips, spring rolls etc. That way no one feels uncomfortable or that they cant participate.

Drinks
It is so easy to rack up a high bill when buying drinks. Ill admit we go a bit crazy when we buy alcohol. Our friends dont drink a lot of pop which saves us some money. We try to get a good idea of What people like to drink. We love white wine, so even if we dont finish the bottle, that is something we would definetly drink. Dont be afraid to buy wine that is on sale, unless they are a wine connoisseur they probably wont be able to tell the difference.

Food
Its hard to know how much food to make or buy. I like to do a mix of buying things from the store and making things from scratch. I try to have a dip of some kind, whether its veges and dip or chips and dip. That helps eliminate stress. Another favorite of mine is a cheese and meat plate. I always try to incorporate atleast 1 homemade appetizer. It doesn't have to he extravagant, you could even do a homemade dip.
If i do a dinner, i always try to make the desserts the night before. Because baking is so specific, i like to do it when i am calm and i have no distractions i.e. when Kayden is sleeping. I understand that baking isnt everyones forte, so go ahead and buy baked goods from the store.
With dinner i like the main dish to be the spotlight. I try to have some variety so people dont feel like they need to have 1 thibg. For instance for a starch ill do rolls and mashed potatoes/ rice. Have a vegetable, salad, and a fun or different side you wouldnt normally make.

Have something for children
I know all of our friends dont have kids, so there are times when Kayden has no one to play with and is surrounded by adults. Thank God for our PVR. I always ensure we have his favorite shows available for him to occupy his time, and his favorite snacks. For the most part, that holds him over. I also try to have something for him to do as well, a craft, special toy or music for him to dance to. Often i am cooking and Curtis is in charge of mingling with the guests, so whenever I can keep Kayden occupied it is so much easier on us.

Post Comment
Post a Comment