Top Social

Being a SAHM

Monday 27 June 2016
Hey Guys!

I decided to write another personal post. I have gotten a lot of questions about why I chose to stay at home with my son. I didn't make this decision overnight, nor did I make it on the whim. I spent a lot of time thinking this over, and had a lot of discussions with my boyfriend.
When I had gotten pregnant, my boyfriend and I were in good financial position, so money wasn't an issue. I wanted to do what was best for my son. I was unemployed at the time, as I had recently been let go of my job, and didn't want to start a new job on the basis that I would be leaving soon.
I wanted to do what would be best for my son. I wanted to be available for my son at all times, and didn't want to miss out on his milestones. My parents didn't help out when it came to caring for him. In all honestly, they wanted to do it on their terms, which meant packing up a newborn and going over there, which isn't always practical. Also, they never offered to help out if I did return back to work. Either my boyfriend or I would need to have a flexible job. If we did decide to put my son in daycare, we would have to be able to pick him up by 6pm, which means we need to have a job that we can leave at any time. I don't drive, but my boyfriend does, so if I was the one to pick him up, public transit would be a hassle. We all know daycare is expensive, so I would need to find a job that would allow me to leave at a certain time everyday, and pay enough to cover daycare and bring home a substantial amount to make it worthwhile. This could be challenging.
I thank God, that it was feasible to stay at home with my son daily, because it made me the mother I am today. I never had help, and while I may have been tired, I was there for everything. My boyfriend worked odd hours, so some-days I would do it all by myself. I was the one who walked back and forth for hours trying to put him down, and balancing a new born, a dog and running a house. I feel more connected to my son because of that. There have been a lot of stories about daycare's abusing children, thank God I didn't put my son in one. I know those may be a few, but the chances of me putting my son in that danger is unfathomable. I worked with my son daily to get him at the level that he is at.As far as my child development, he is perfectly normal. He is more advanced with his gross/fine motor skills, he walked early, and is such a curious child. I loved rolling around with my son on the ground, and singing songs with him.
Looking back I don't know how I would have done it, if I was working. My son never napped in the daytime, then it switched to not sleeping at night. I don't know how I would have done it if I was a working mama. It allowed me to be flexible, and change my schedule to fit my sons needs. I didn't have to worry about going to bed on time, or how I would cope with 4 hours of sleep. What was more important, was that my boyfriend supported me. We both agreed it was best for our son to be with his mama. I am not saying that I would never go back to work, I already have plans to return when our son goes to school. I want to work from home, where I can make my own schedule and continue to be flexible, but fill my days with something productive.
I also loved being there for my boyfriend. I had worked before full time, and never saw my boyfriend. We were always on the go, and didnt see each other for about 4 days out of the week. I felt more connected to him, and felt apart of a family. I was able to connect to other mama's and even meet up with friends for my sanity. I loved friends coming over and spending time with Kayden. Even though I didnt breasatfeed for a long time, to have that luxury to do so in the privacy of my house was a plus. I also discovered blogging, which has turned into a passion of mine. I discovered other bloggers/youtubers and felt so connected with people across the world, who went through similar stuggles as me.

Being a stay at home mom isn't ideal for everyone, and I know it isn't feasible. For those who aren't able to do it, I feel for you, and I also commend you. You are strong women, stronger then I could ever be. Your plate will forever be stacked higher then mine, and I salute you.
1 comment on "Being a SAHM"