Top Social

How to cook basmati rice perfectly

Tuesday 5 July 2016
Hey Guys!

I grew up eating rice, to be honest, I will find any excuse to eat rice. It is my absolute favorite thing to eat. I must admit, I didn't perfect my 'rice making skills' till September. I make basmati rice, that is always in our house. The only time I buy another brand, is if I can't find a reasonably priced bag of basmati at the store.
For my birthday in September, my dad took me to a restaurant, and the rice was amazing. It was light, fluffy, and you could eat endless amounts, which is odd because it usually leaves you feeling heavy.
Here is the secret, soak your rice. I ideally like to soak it for 2 hours before I am going to cook it, but I have done it 30 minutes before and gotten good results.
I usually make a cup and half of rice, so I double that amount in water. If i am not soaking my rice, I will add a dash of oil. If I am soaking it, I rinse it off with water and put it in the pot once the water has boiled. I put my stove on 7, and let it cook for 5 minutes. If i have soaked it, I do find that all the water is gone, and the rice is fully cooked. If i haven't soaked it I lower the heat to 5, and usually in 2-3 minutes it will be done. I cover the rice with a small plate/bowl. The reason I don't use a lid, is because I don't want any steam/heat to escape. I cover it for at least 5 minutes.

Post Comment
Post a Comment